Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Moving Toward Dynamic Technologies

Distance learning entails the educator providing information to students in order to obtain objected knowledge.  Technology is a tool often utilize in the distance learning environment to promote learner engagment.  Mollier (2008) dicussed  technology as a continuum from static to dynamic.  Presently on the static-dynamic continuum, I am currently on the static end of the continuum in means of implementing technology that will obtain knowledge in students.  Technologies classified on the static continuum for example podcasts and Web pages which basicly display data for the learner, but does not ensure the learner's ability to obtain knowledge from the information provided.  Mollier (2008) reasoned that static technologies are often used because of their close relationship to traditional teacher-led instruction.

Moving towards the dynamic continuum will be difficult but the goal is obtainable.  One of the key ideas I have learned from the course to not fear technology. Understanding the multiple use of technology and identifying technology that are capable of promoting critical skills and engagement of the learner. Completely understanding how to use technologies of the dynamic continuum and incorporating dynamic technology in instructional design effectively is important.  


Moller, L. (2008). Static and dynamic technological tools. [Unpublished Paper].
 

4 comments:

  1. Rontra,

    I am with you as I work toward the dynamic end of the continuum. Podcasting is a great tool and can also be used by the students. They can be challenged to create a podcast about what they have learned. Good luck as we continue our journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rontra,

    I agree that moving more towards dynamic technologies is an obtainable goal. I would love to see your graphic organizer that you created for this assignment. Would you mind posting it to your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rontra,

    I am happy that you experienced growth in not fearing technology. I realized that my fear of technology would hold me back personally and professionally, not to mention negatively impact my students. My decision to pursue this degree helped me overcome that fear. I still get concerned when there is a task that requires me to use technology that I never have before. I have had to remind myself that I am here to learn. I am curious to see your graphic organizer of tools that you would use to make your classroom reflect 21st century learning. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Implementing the correct information for moving toward dynamic technologies is important. This is an awesome way to have success in eLearning for students.

    ReplyDelete